Most of my current projects are stuck at an other-than-knitting point. Mittens that have to be ripped back since the thumbs are fitting like gloves, not mittens. A one-by-one ribbed scarf that I’m trying to bind off. Four bind-offs later, it’s still rippled at that end. Next up – the invisible ribbed bind-off. And a cowl that has to be put on waste yarn and tried on. I’ve already ripped it out once since I didn’t like the fit. Hopefully I got it right this time.
None of this is knitting. At least, not the no-thinking, just carry on sort of knitting that I’ve been wanting to do.
So I dug out the pattern and yarn for a shawl that I’ve been wanting to make for, oh, years. Of course, the yarn I have (Misti Alpaca Lace) is not the one called for in the pattern. It’s a bit finer. But, oh, so nice. So time to swatch. I started a few tiny ones on 0s, 1s, 2s, and 3s. I couldn’t really make anything out on the swatch on the 0s, so I set that aside and worked up some good size swatches of the rest.
They’re interesting. I wondered why the decreases were put on the same side as the way they lean, but now I see that it opens the pattern up. Cool. I like how the slight twist of one of the decreases (SKP) ends up looking like slightly raised buds. I’ll spend some time dithering over the swatches. Do I want an open fabric, or a tighter one? I put it on the counter and I’ll keep looking at it.
The pattern is an old Shetland Lace one. Very simple to follow, and restful to knit. I really like it. I’m looking forward to making this shawl.

No comments:
Post a Comment