Friday, March 5, 2010

Clarsach Intro

The harp guild is just around the corner, and I've been neglecting my small wire harp. So I planned to spend this week tuning it. Yes, a week. It can get temperamental about holding tune if the weather has been changeable and I haven't been tuning it for a while. Like, months. I've been in the mood to play nylon, so, well...

It has been holding tune without a problem. I tuned it at the beginning of the week and have only had to make minor adjustments as a few spots of snow have blown through. It is so resonant that it is easy to tune; when you get close to pitch, the other strings start to ring in sympathy. Of course, I have to damp all of the strings before I go on to the next one, but that is a minor matter.

I've used a picture with my cat, Bella, in it to give a sense of scale. She's a small cat. And she finds the harp to be quite interesting. Strings, you know.

The harp is an historical replica of medieval Scots/Irish wire harps (clarsach/clairseach) made by Lynne Lewandowski from cherry wood with brass strings. The soundholes on the front have been carved to resemble cherry blossoms.

Most of my arranging for it has been to find tunes that set the harp singing and to get out of the way. I'll add a sparse bass arrangement, but that's all.

Looking forward to sharing tunes and the potluck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment